Facebook Twitter Pinterest YouTube Blog


Crossing the NH-Canadian Border

Welcome to our guests from the North! New Hampshire shares a 96 km (58 mi) border with Canada, with the main crossing station located at Chartierville, Quebec and Pittsburg, NH, entering onto NH Rte. 3.  Below please find information on documents needed to cross the border into the United States.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers and agriculture specialists throughout Vermont and New Hampshire are providing guidance to assist cross-border travelers who intend to travel between the U.S. and Canada. The tips are designed to ease the crossing process for travelers as CBP officers and agriculture specialists maintain their principal anti-terror mission.  Please click here to view the complete list of tips.

As of June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens will be required to present one of the following valid WHTI-compliant documents when entering the United States by land or water:

  • a passport; or
  • a NEXUS card; or
  • a FAST card; or
  • an EDL or EIC from a province or territory where a U.S.-approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented.

Canadian citizens 15 years of age and under will only require proof of citizenship, such as an original or a copy of a birth certificate, or a Canadian citizenship card. Canadian citizens 18 years of age and under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent, may also present proof of citizenship alone.

Further Information and Assistance

The Government of Canada continues to recommend that Canadians carry a valid Canadian passport when visiting all destinations abroad, including the United States. A passport is the only universally accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada. Canadians are not required to have Machine Readable Passports to enter the U.S., even if the passport was issued abroad. Canada is not a participant in the U.S. Visa Waiver Program.

For more information on required documents, please visit the following websites:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative


Request a NH Visitor's Guide