76 Northwest St.
Built c. 1664, the Jackson House is the oldest surviving wood frame house in New Hampshire. The house was built by Richard Jackson, a woodworker, farmer, and mariner, on his family's twenty-five-acre plot.
The Jackson House resembles English post-medieval prototypes, but is notably American in its extravagant use of wood. Succeeding generations added a lean-to by 1715, and more additions in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries to accommodate several different family groups sharing the house at once. The Jackson House is owned and operated by Historic New England.
Open the first and third Saturdays, June 1 – October 15, 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Tours on the hour. Last tour at 4:00 p.m. Admission is $6. Historic New England members are free.
Back to Listings