Barrett House, Forest Hall
79 Main St.
Barrett House was built c. 1800 by Charles Barrett Sr. for his son Charles Jr. and daughter-in-law Martha Minot on the occasion of their marriage. According to tradition, its grand scale was encouraged by Martha’s father, who promised to furnish the house in as lavish a manner as Barrett Sr. could build it.
The stately house museum features Barrett family furnishings, French scenic wallpaper, and a third-floor ballroom. Open the second and fourth Saturdays of the month, June through Oct 15. Guided tours are offered 11 am - 4 pm, on the hour. Admission is $8, Historic New England members are free.
Barrett House is owned and operated by Historic New England.
Back to Listings