Skip to main content

Crossing the Canadian Border

We always invite others to experience the live free lifestyle for themselves. New Hampshire shares a 58-mile (93 km) border with Canada, and with the proper documentation and adherence to border-crossing policies, it’s easy for Canadian citizens to venture to New Hampshire. The New Hampshire/Canada border crossing is located on U.S. Route 3 between the towns of Pittsburg, New Hampshire, and Chartierville, Quebec. The Pittsburg border crossing station (phone: 819-656-2261) operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, letting visitors enter New Hampshire at any time. The Canadian facility, however, is closed overnight from midnight until 8:00 am, so plan your departure accordingly.

Read below for more information on making sure you have a safe and stress-free trip across the border.

Covid-19 Update: To limit the spread of COVID-19, American and Canadian authorities announced the temporary restriction of all non-essential travel across their borders as of March 21, 2020, until further notice.  The borders will remain open for commercial and health related activities such as supply chains of food, fuel and medicine.  For complete details on travel between Canada and the United States at this time, please click here.

What documents do Canadians need to enter New Hampshire from Canada?

Canadian citizens must present one of the following valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative–compliant documents when entering the U.S. by land:
  • a passport, which must be valid until the date of expected departure; or

  • a NEXUS card; or

  • a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or

  • an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or enhanced identification card (EIC) from a province or territory where a U.S.–approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented; or

  • a Secure Certificate of Indian Status

Canadian citizens ages 15 and younger require proof of citizenship (an original or a copy of a birth certificate or an original Canadian citizenship card). Canadian citizens ages 18 and under who are traveling with a school or organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent, may present proof of citizenship alone. Any adult traveling with children may be required to show evidence of parental/custodial and/or access rights or to provide evidence of the consent of the child's parents, legal guardian, and/or the court to leave Canada with the children.

The government of Canada advises: "Your Canadian passport is the best document to prove your Canadian citizenship and your right to return to Canada."

Canadian citizens entering the United States directly from Canada for the purpose of visiting or studying don’t need a visa. Maximum stay for Canadian visitors to the U.S. is generally six months.

What documents do U.S. citizens need to cross the New Hampshire/Canada border?

U.S. citizens may present one of the following valid documents:
  • a U.S. passport; or

  • Passport Card; or

  • Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL); or

  • Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST); or

  • U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; or

  • Form I-872 American Indian Card or Enhanced Tribal Card

U.S. children under the age of 16 (or under 19 if traveling with a school or other group) need to present only a birth certificate (original, photocopy, or certified copy) or other proof of citizenship.

What Can and Cannot Be Transported Across the New Hampshire/Canada border?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection provides these tips to expedite New England border crossings. You'll find answers to common questions about bringing pets, cash, food, agricultural products, gifts, medicines, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and other goods across the international border.
More Resources for Traveling Between New Hampshire and Canada
USA Entrance Requirements