It’s safe to say, ice skating, whether for sport or hobby, has been around hundreds of years, originating in Scandinavia. If you’ve skated before, you know there’s just something magical about gliding across a frozen surface of ice. For many, lacing up a pair of skates brings about a feeling of nostalgia. It’s also a great way to get outside during the wintertime, get some exercise, and breathe in some crisp winter air.
While there are a few basic things to keep in mind if you’re just starting out, and a lesson or two might be a good idea, little to no experience is required and it’s a great activity for just about all ages. So, what are you waiting for? Get your family and friends together, grab a pair of skates, and get ready to make memories this winter in New Hampshire.
You can find rinks in just about every corner of the state, from small neighborhood rinks to wide open frozen lakes. Below, you'll find a sampling of skating spots in each region to try in your travels this winter.
*All outdoor rinks are weather permitting. For anyone planning to skate on ponds or lakes always be sure the ice is safe. New Hampshire Fish and Game’s offers these safety guidelines to help you determine if the ice is safe. A reminder ice can appear to be solid while still being dangerously thin and ice thickness is not always uniform across a body of water.
Dartmouth Lake Sunapee
- Mascoma Lake, Enfield: Public skating, maintained by Mascoma Lake Skating Association.
Great North Woods
- Mill Falls at the Lake, 281 Daniel Webster Highway, Meredith: Ice skate rentals available, rink located on Meredith Bay.
- Owl's Nest Resort, 40 Clubhouse Lane, Thornton: Public skating and pond hockey.
- Dorrs Pond, 56 Hooksett Road, Manchester: Public skating, warming hut on site.
- White Park, 1 White Street, Concord: Public skating, lights for night skating.
- Gorham Libby Recreation Complex Skating Rink, 33 Exchange Street, Gorham: Warming hut on site open sunrise to 9:00 pm (lights turn on at 4:30).
- King Pine Ice Rink, 1251 Eaton Road, Route 153, Madison: Covered skating rink, warming station and limited skate rentals available.
- Nestlenook Farm, 66 Dinsmore Road, Jackson: Ice skate rentals available, ice rink hours and ticket information available here.
- Schouler Park, White Mountain Highway, North Conway: Warming hut on site, and lights for night skating.